Poker in Austria

• Roenepoen
      Roenepoen
      Gold
      Hi,

I could not get an answer on this question in the Dutch or English forums so I would like to ask it in the German one :)

I am considering moving to Austria but I could not get clear answers on the tax situation on poker over there. Could somebody help me out on this? Hopefully this question is asked in the correct category, if not, my apologies!

Thanks! :)
  • 8 Antworten
    • ThePloJoker
      ThePloJoker
      Bronze
      you can add me in skype solotalent2
    • welle85
      welle85
      Bronze
      Original von Roenepoen
      Hi,

I could not get an answer on this question in the Dutch or English forums so I would like to ask it in the German one :)

I am considering moving to Austria but I could not get clear answers on the tax situation on poker over there. Could somebody help me out on this? Hopefully this question is asked in the correct category, if not, my apologies!

Thanks! :)
      there is only one poker site where it is legally allowed to play online poker, it is called win2day. If you play there it is legal and you don't have to pay any taxes... in addition - rake is very low.

But you can also play on all the other sites, they are not legal but also not banned or anything like that. Those sites are in some kind of grey area... there are no problems if you continue to play there. Just be aware to not cashout to much money (often times amount with 5 figures) directly into your Austrian bank account - financial authorities could start to ask questions then.

Hope that helped you.
    • doubleJay
      doubleJay
      Black
      legal: only at win2day, otherwise illegal.

taxes: not clear (same as germany).
    • littleA
      littleA
      Bronze
      Well it's a bit weird in Austria.

BUT i can tell you: I'm playing online as everyone else does - not only at Win2day. If it's something its in a somewhat grey area - not illegal!!!

Here's a link proving it: http://de.pokerstrategy.com/news/world-of-poker/Urteil:-Poker-ist-in-%C3%96sterreich-kein-Gl%C3%BCcksspiel-mehr_74981/

It's in German though.

Anyways, in Austria it's not illegal and you don't have to pay taxes at all.

Hope this helps, and sorry about to German proof :(

Regards
      Roman
    • Chief0r
      Chief0r
      Bronze
      although its not 100% legal no one gives a fuck if u playing
    • Roenepoen
      Roenepoen
      Gold
      Thanks for the answers!!

But I want to cashout the money I earn, because I dont like to leave it online. So what happens if you do cashout bigger amounts? Do I also need an Austrian citizenship to open a Austrian bank account?

Here in the Netherlands its also a grey area, if you dont cashout to much you can stay under the radar, but you also have the option to say, i pay 29% tax and you can cashout all the money you want so its all legit, nobody ask questions and you can buy everything with that money. But the 29% tax is a lot and since I have the freedom to move and love Austria I would like to go there if it can save me the 29% tax :)

Thanks for all the answers so far, big help!
    • littleA
      littleA
      Bronze
      1. no tax

2. in which country in the world do you need a citizenship to open a bank account :) obviously you can open a bank acccount when you move here :)

Regards
    • doubleJay
      doubleJay
      Black
      there is no prominent case, but that certainly does not MEAN "no tax" :rolleyes: